GPS Map Refreshing...

Anything about the Open Source code, downloads, documentation. Suggestions welcome.
Rassiloth

GPS Map Refreshing...

Post by Rassiloth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Not a problem this time, more an observation.

One of my side projects has been to build a simple Raspberry Pi device for me to control and manage my SM installation while onboard (as I don't want to go digging out my laptop all the time).

The platform I've built is a standard RPi in a 7" touchscreen. This works well and I can log into the BCS with no issues.

however, I notice that although I can execute a show location in the GPS setting, which works fine, I can't set this as an auto refreshing map.

This appears to be a due to the map display process using a POST process somewhere in the code. This means that the browser (Chromium at the moment) puts up a request to confirm the re-submission of the request before it will re-display the page.

I'm using Chromium as I have a handy extension that sets the page to refresh automatically at a predefined time duration.

All the workarounds I've found so far require me to start messing with the page code so I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has already resolved this.

Not really a critical thing but it stops people bugging me with 'Where are we now?' questions ;)

Cheers

Ian

penny

Re: GPS Map Refreshing...

Post by penny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:13 pm

If I understand you correctly you're looking at the GPS map for a current position - whilst on the move ?

If so, that's already done by Open CPN and we would recommend that rather than the "has by boat been nicked" or "has she wandered off". But I may have misunderstood - in which case do put me to rights !

Penny

Rassiloth

Post by Rassiloth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Penny,

What was trying to use was the 'Plot Your Position' option but I run into problems auto refreshing the screen as it keeps wanting an ok to resend data. Can't see any other options with the BCS menu though.

I'm only looking to provide a map display on a small RPi inside the boat. The unit doubles as my 'local onboard' management console for SM.

I only manage 4mph at most along a fairly straight canal and I'm loath to setup a second GPS collection when this is just for information.

Don't mind looking at openCPN but it may be overkill ;-)

Ian

penny

Post by penny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Rassiloth wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm
Penny,

What was trying to use was the 'Plot Your Position' option but I run into problems auto refreshing the screen as it keeps wanting an ok to resend data. Can't see any other options with the BCS menu though.

I'm only looking to provide a map display on a small RPi inside the boat. The unit doubles as my 'local onboard' management console for SM.

I only manage 4mph at most along a fairly straight canal and I'm loath to setup a second GPS collection when this is just for information.

Don't mind looking at openCPN but it may be overkill ;-)

Ian
Ian Yes - had forgotten you wouldn't have issues like tidal set and much in the way of currents and that it would be hard to lose your way (tho to our shame we once got lost on the Broads with a hire boat and had to back a long way as there was nowhere to turn round !). We think the refresh is a function of the browser so don't see a fix for it. The only way I can think of would be to close the Plot Your Position program and then re-select it from the menu when you want to know where you are.

We used to issue OpenCPN but at that time there was a paucity of charts for the UK - which wouldn't affect you as you would need to use Google Maps for the inland stuff. However we think that since OpenCPN would only be reading from the GPS that you could probably use both simultaneously but don't know for certain. Maybe you could ask the question on these forumns or an OpenCPN one ?

Penny