False alarms

Please check the Knowledge Base articles before posting here
birchwood

False alarms

Post by birchwood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 pm

I have a problem with skippersmate intruder detection. My boat is in a marina and every time my neighbours across the pontoon are on board I receive false alarms from the pir. It is not possible for the pir to see my neighbours as they move around so what could be causing this.

crb
Site Admin

Re: False alarms

Post by crb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Are you sure that you have separated the wires from the BCU to the pir? We have found that some people seem to get electrical interference leading to false alarms.

birchwood

Post by birchwood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Yes the wires are all seperated.

Sadler34

Post by Sadler34 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 pm

This sounds like EMI (electromagnetic interference). Fluorescent tubes are notorious for generating this interference but there are many other sources. If this is the cause just separating the wires may not be enough, you may need to twist or "plait" them. I did this when I installed my PIR and have experienced no problems.

HTH

Tim

crb
Site Admin

Post by crb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks, Tim. I'll try putting a test system near a fluorescent tube and see what results I get.

Cheers,

Colin

crb
Site Admin

Post by crb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:05 am

Tried a test system underneath a fluorescent tube (under cabinet light). False movement detected as soon as the tube was switched on and at fairly regular intervals thereafter. Plaited the PIR wires and repeated the test. It has now run overnight with no false alarms.

Thanks Tim (Sadler34) for this info - we'll make sure that it finds its way into the assembly instructions.

Cheers,

Colinj

penny

Post by penny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 am

It does seem to be working well - not hard to do either ! But then girls learn to plait pony tails and horses' manes and stuff :)

Be interested to hear more reports on this.

Penny

birchwood

Post by birchwood » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:08 pm

It worked. I had no false alarms overnight but got an alarm as soon as I went into the saloon in the morning.

Perhaps tis should have been mentioned in the installation instructions.

My thanks to Sadler34.

Raphael

Post by Raphael » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:44 pm

First post. I like your software - tanks very much. A bit more on false alarms. Im not sur that the advice to plait the wires is a good idea. My unit worked well on the test bench at home but gave occasional false alarms at my boat, more RFI?. Ive cured the problem by twisting the power and ground lines and then shielding them. I did this with ordinary kitchen foil so its not very neat and you need to be careful about not shorting anything but it seems to have cured thr problem completely. Its been running for more than two weeks with no false alarms.
I think that maybe twin core rwisted and shielded cable would work better than kitchen foil. Ive got some on order and will report back when Ive tested.
Thanks again for the system.

WarnerSak

False alarms

Post by WarnerSak » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:31 am

If we have a customer that continues to have false alarms we often times will re-train the user on how to use the system.
99 of our false alarms are user error.