Advice request for non-techie novice

Please check the Knowledge Base articles before posting here
WhiteHeat

Advice request for non-techie novice

Post by WhiteHeat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 pm

I am planning to buy a 36ft sailing boat in the next 3 months, which is likely to be kept on a mooring. I will need a security system that includes an intruder alarm with loud siren and ideally a strobe, alarms for water level, batteries, and the ability to keep an eye on my boat remotely for peace of mind and to verify an intruder alarm if necessary. I would be monitoring the boat on an Ipad or iPhone mainly using wifi.The boat will only be used in Northern Europe. Please would you advise what solution you recommend and how much this would cost. I am reasonably practical, but not an IT professional! Thanks.

penny

Re: Advice request for non-techie novice

Post by penny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi WhiteHeat

Thanks for posting here - this can help others.

We no longer sell hardware - courtesy of the uncertainty of Brexit. But there are documents available from the web site which make it fairly easy to put things together yourself. We hope to put up some lists of the best bits to buy (although, of course, these tend to change according to availability).

Comms System
I would suggest you start with the Comms System https://www.skippersmate.co.uk/products/1001.html with the exception that you may not need a WiFi antenna. Personally we use 4G for our boat connection to the outside world - marina and public wifi systems tend to be less reliable and much slower than our experience of GSM.

Raspberry Pi
You will probably need to buy a Pi 3B - we support pretty much all versions of the Pi tho older ones may be too low a spec for some systems.

Camera
If you wish to "see" your boat via a camera then you need to look at the Security system. If you're going to be on a mooring you need to look either at the Pi camera or a USB camera - IP cameras are only viable if you're using mains power.

Sensors
Have a look at the Editions / Sensor Editions page. You can add sensors as you need - subject to distances for Bluetooth comms. We have not experienced any problems and our boat is a similar size to your prospective boat but sometimes those with motor boats and engine rooms may have issues with internal boat comms.

Each sensor is a separate entity so you can, subject to power consumption issues, have lots of sensors. Each sensor uses an Arduino Uno and there are instructions on how to fit it all together.

If you have any more questions please do post again.

Penny

sq5npw

Post by sq5npw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi,
What will the future of the central server be?
Will Brexit be able to affect its functioning?

Jerzy

crb
Site Admin

Post by crb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:01 pm

sq5npw wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi,
What will the future of the central server be?
Will Brexit be able to affect its functioning?

Jerzy
There should be no effect on the server. The only result of leaving the E.U. is that we will cease selling hardware.

Should have said that the result of leaving will be will be catastrophic for the U.K. population, but the system should be o.k. :twisted: