wlan naming with ISO builds

Anything about the Open Source code, downloads, documentation. Suggestions welcome.
Rass

wlan naming with ISO builds

Post by Rass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm

When trying to use the prebuilt ISO (whether from the zip or the tar downloads) there seems to be some fun and games with the wireless interface naming.

On the RPi3 and above models (which the ISO is for?) the internal wireless is always wlan2 while and additional USB interface is wlan3.

However, the build seems to be set to work around an AP based on wlan0

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards

Rass

penny

Re: wlan naming with ISO builds

Post by penny » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Dear Rass

Sincere apologies for taking so long to reply. Went sailing !

No - it isn't entirely obvious - but I'm glad to say it is in the documentation !!!!

Have you downloaded a copy of Skipper's Mate - What To Do With A Card/ISO from the Manuals page off the Contact menu ? I think that page 21 answers the issue - you need to get the Access Point as WLAN0 before adding any other wireless devices. To that end you need to remove the network file from /etc/udev as described before adding the AP and only then add further wireless devices. This means the AP will come up as WLAN0 and the receiver, if you have one, as WLAN1.

There is also a slightly more detailed description of the same process starting on page 22 (though you shouldn't need to make the edit on 75-persistent-net-generator.rules as this has been done in the ISO) of the Open Source Manual for Geeks.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to post and we'll try to answer a bit sooner :(

Penny